(If you don't know what vetkoek is, it is basically deep-fried bread that is shaped like a bun.)
6¾ cups Flour (all-purpose flour)
2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 packet Yeast
Cooking oil (for frying)
How To Make The Dough
Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth. Leave the dough to rise for about 45 - 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 1-1½ inches of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F.
Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 1 inch thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.
Dont confuse with a Blue Bull Vetkoek which is just Nasty as you can see Below